The Writers House at 3805 Locust Walk is under
renovation until October 27. Until then, all events will take place
off-site. See below for specific locations.
- 8:30PM: Speakeasy: Poetry, Prose
and Anything Goes. Open mic performance night. Chats,
3800 Locust Walk. For more information contact the hosts, Emily Cohen and Courtney Zoffness.
- 9:00PM: The Virgin
House Band. Come listen to live jazz at Chats Too
, 3800 Locust Walk.
- 5:15-7:15PM: Penn and Pencil Club Meeting for the creative
writing workshop for staff at Penn and Health Systems. 413 Bennett Hall.
For more information or to RSVP, e-mail us.
- 4:30-7PM: Planning
Committee Meeting. Harris Steinberg will attend. Meeting will be
held at the Writers House, 3805 Locust Walk.
- 7PM: Talking Film. Screenwriters
workshop with Ernie Vecchione. Tonight's workshop, "The
Well-Made Script" will be followed by a screening of the film
Barcelona or The Apartment at Williams Hall, Room 102.
- 6 PM: Roundtable conversation about contemporary and experimental
poetry! Join us for a discussion of contemporary poetics and
poetry--including works by some of the poets we'll meet this semester.
413 Bennett Hall (4th Floor in the Writing Center). Readings can be
picked up at the Writers House (1314 HRE) on and after Thursday, October
- 12 Midnight: LIVE at the
Writers House #5 with WXPN
88.5. Institute of Contemporary Art, 118 South 36th
- 7:00-7:30PM: The Writers House on Kid's Corner at WXPN 88.5 FM! Experts from the Writers House join
kids on the popular radio show Kid's Corner to explore the world of
poetry. Tonight's topic: haiku.
- Fall Term Break
- 8:30PM: Speakeasy: Poetry, Prose and
Anything Goes. Open mic performance night. Chats, 3800
Locust Walk. For more information, contact the hosts, Emily Cohen and
- 4:30PM-6PM: Talking Film screens
contemporary American independent films, with talks by the writers and
directors who made them. Tonight's guest, Jim Stark, will lead a
workshop from 4:30-6PM at Williams Hall 27.
- 7:30PM: Screening of Cold Fever, a film Stark
co-wrote, followed by a Q & A session. The screening will be
held in DRL A7. To RSVP for these events and for more information contact
the Writers House.
- 9:00PM: Get your dose of jazz and funk from the Virgin
House Band at Chats Too, 3800 Locust Walk.
- 7:00PM: Talking Film. Screenwriters
workshop with Ernie Vecchione. Tonight's workshop, "The Writing
Process / Rewriting" will be followed by a screening of the film
Paris When it Sizzles. Williams Hall, Room 102.
- Alumni Writers: Spend the evening with Gilbert
Sandler, C'49, a columnist for The Baltimore Sun; and
catch a glimpse of life as a journalist.
- 3:30-5PM: Sandler will give a journalism workshop at Williams
- 6-7PM: Dinner with students. Location to be announced.
- 7:30PM: Informal lecture by urban journalist Gilbert Sandler at
For more information or to RSVP for any or all of these events, e-mail us.
- 4:30-6PM: Planning
Committee Meeting. To be held at the Writers House, 3805
- 6:00PM: Roundtable conversation about contemporary and
experimental poetry! Join us for a discussion of contemporary poetics
and poetry--including works by Laura Moriarty and David
Bromige, two contemporary poets who will visit the House on 10/30 and
10/31. At Writers House, 3805 Locust Walk. Readings for the discussion
can be picked up at the Writers House temporary office (1314 HRE).
- 9:00PM-12Midnight: The Virgin
House Band plays at Chats Too, 3800 Locust Walk.
The renovated House will re-open Monday, October 27.
All following events will take place at the House, located at 3805 Locust
- 5:00PM: David Ferry, poet and translator, will be reading at
Penn as a guest of the Creative Writing department. Ferry is the
author of four books of poetry, the most recent of which is Dwelling
Places published by University of Chicago Press. He is known as well
for his distinguished translation of Gilgamesh (Farrar Straus &
Giroux, 1992) and the forthcoming Odes of Horace (FS&G).
He is an honorary fellow of the Academy of American Poets.
- 6:00PM: Dinner with David Ferry.
For more information contact Writers House.
- W.W. Norton Co. Publishers Series:
Guest workshop, dinner, and informal discussion with Gerald Howard,
Editor, Trade Books, W.W. Norton Co.
- 3:30-5PM: Workshop with Gerald Howard.
- 6:00PM: Dinner with students.
- 7:30PM: Informal lecture by Gerald Howard.
For more information and to RSVP
contact the Writers House.
- 7-8PM: The Free Jazz Project plays at the House.
- 8:30PM: Speakeasy: Poetry, Prose
and Anything Goes. Open mic performance night. For more
information, contact the hosts, Emily Cohen and
- 5:00PM. Visiting Writers: Reading by
poet Laura Moriarty.
- 4:00PM: Visiting Writers:
Reading by poet David Bromige.
- 5:00PM: Philly Talks #1:
David Bromige and Laura Moriarty in
conversation. These two notable contemporary experimentalists give
brief talks about each other's work. A roundtable discussion will follow.
- 6:30 PM: Dinner with David Bromige and Laura Moriarty.
RSVP toWriters House.